Wednesday, July 20, 2011

sweet summertime

I am going to take a break from India posts to update everyone on my life back home so far this summer! Since returning home from India and France, I have been blessed to visit Chicago twice, visit West Michigan twice, spend time with some great friends and family back home, and work a week with SpringHill Day Camps. In between job searching and apartment searching, I have been having a fabulous summer!

My first visit to Chicago began when I landed in the USA, fresh off the plane from foreign lands. I have never been so thankful for everything American! Believe it or not, Chicago felt like a small town to me that first weekend back. I could navigate the streets and the L with my suitcase AND hiking backpack without bumping into anyone on the sidewalks. Everything was fresh and new to me again: trees looked extra green; flowers smelled delicious, and I could smell them from hundreds of yards away; and the clean, empty streets made me giddy every time I went to cross them. Although I loved India and all her glory, I am happy to be home.

Once I navigated the L to Chelsea's apartment (with all of my luggage), we walked around Lakeview over to an ice creamshop, Bobtail, where we met up with Marisa. I ordered a merlot ice cream with dark chocolate chips. It was delicious! There was a customer-designed flavor contest going on. Someone recommended a "PBR" ice cream. That would probably taste horrible, but I hope it wins because I think that would be funny! Marisa, Chelsea, and I shared stories of our summers thus far. It was fun to hear what they have been up to! They both have such exciting lives! Both of those women have such a passion for fun and adventure, and I look up to them for that.

After ice cream, Chelsea and I headed to Millenium Park for the free Monday night concert. We say Phosphorescent and the Campbell Brothers. Apparently, everyone BYOB to the concerts, so Chelsea grabbed her BYO bag that she got in Australia, and we brought some white wine with us to the park. We enjoyed the show until it started to gettoo cold out. We packed up our blanket, jumped on the L, and headed over to Parth's to say hello. He showed us around his new Lakeview apartment, which is so nice! He is a great friend indeed.
Millenium Park with Chels!

The next day, Chelsea had a coffee date with a friend, so I met up with Sarah for lunch! We wanted Mexican food, and to sit outside, so we ended up at a delicious little place on Clark called El Jardin. We split the veggie fajitas and some guac and chips, and we each ordered frozen margaritas to beat the heat. A guy at a table near us told us we should try out a restaurant in Wicker Park sometime called Big Star. They specialize in Mexican and whiskey. Sarah, next time I'm in Chicago--let's go! We then went to Slugger's, where Chelsea and Joel met up with us. We sat and chatted for a bit, and then it was time for me to grab my bags from Chelsea's and catch my Amtrak train back home.
Lunch at El Jardin.

My second trip to Chicago was the following weekend with my friend Emma for our dear friend Sarah's birthday! What a wonderful friend she is! There was no question about me traveling to her. On our first night, we enjoyed beers outside in the beer garden at Duck Fat, and then we spent the night at her dad's place in the city. The next morning, we woke up and headed to Starbucks so that Emma could send emails to families abroad in search of an au pair job! We then went to a vegan restaurant called Karyn's Cooked for Sarah's birthday lunch! Parth met up with us, and we enjoyed GREAT food and company. The three of us girls spent the rest of the afternoon shopping downtown. We then dined in style at the Grand Luxe Cafe, where we went for chocolate cake and drinks to top off Sarah's birthday! Emma and I then stayed at her place in Holland. The next day, I stopped by Megan's new house in Grand Rapids!
In Chicago for Sarah's birthday!!

In between and after my trips to Chicago, I have hung out with great friends from home! I have had many opportunities to see close friends and reunite with girls I ran cross country with in high school. I feel blessed to have all of these hangouts! I also went on a road rally with the college group from church. What a blast that was! Our team won. The reward? Gourmet cupcakes from a new-ish bakery in downtown Plymouth, the Cupcake Station. I also got to celebrate the 4th of July TWICE with my family! Once at my Uncle Ray and Aunt Paulina's home in Manchester and again the next day at my grandma's for our annual fountain fireworks and grill-0ut.
Team Winners [solid rock college group road rally]

Besties!

I have also traveled to West Michigan twice. My first trip was to see my good friends Tina and Amanda. Amanda is basically my twin in this life, and Tina is an amazing woman whom I have traveled abroad with twice and have grown closer to each time. I love them both! We hung out at Tina's, sunbathed at the beach, and took Tina to Captain Sundae for the first time ever! I also went to the beach with Aaron Martin, hung out with Emma on her rooftop, ran into Jacob and chatted for a while, and got drinks with David. On my way home from Holland, I stopped by Megan's in Grand Rapids. We ended up going out with her roommates and danced the night away. It was so much fun!
at Tunnel Park with Amanda and Tina!

Tina's first-ever Captain Sundae trip!

Megan!

The following weekend, I traveled to Grand Rapids again to see Harry Potter at midnight with my bff, Megan! We saw the movie, had mixed feelings, and passed out in her bed. The following day, we woke up, watched the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, ate breakfast, went to the John Ball Park Zoo with her roomie Natalie, and then we visited Megan's old roommates, Lindsey and Kelsey, and swam in their pool. This weekend, my family came out to Grand Haven to spend the week here. We are staying in a cozy little condo on the third floor of a building right off the main road, Harbor Road. We have spent a lot of time at the beach; gone boogie-boarding; walked along the pier; gone on bike rides; drank a lot of coffee from Jumpin' Java; went to the Tri-Cities Museums; ate at Snug Harbor, Kirby Grill, Pronto Pups, and Butch's Beach Burritos; and played a lot of Scrabble. We even got to spend an entire day in Holland, and my friend Emma came to visit me! We walked around downtown and down the pier. She's great. We head home tomorrow, and I can post pictures from our trip then! I have enjoyed all of the time I have been able to spend with my family this week. It truly has been wonderful!

In between my trips to the west side, I had the opportunity to work for SpringHill Day Camps in Plymouth. Best week of my summer thus far--hands down. I got to co-counsel a group of fifth graders with Steve, from church, and a girl Ashley, whom I had the pleasure of getting to know throughout the week. I also got to be in my good friend Vinnie's area, which was such a treat! I got to sing camp songs, play camp games, run activities, and love on kids--some of my favorite things in life! I also dug deeper into God's Word this past week--something I have not done in too long. Lately, I have been dwelling more on His Word, and I can really notice a change within myself. God is working on big and beautiful things in my life, and I can't wait to see where He takes me!

(more photos coming soon!)

What's next in my life? Next week, I am heading down to Florida for an unknown amount of time to au pair for my cousin Heather. I get to hang out with her and her beautiful children, Ella, Olivia, and Jonah, full-time! I am pumped.

After that, I plan on moving to Chicago--job or no job. I pray for a classroom of my own, but I will substitute teach until I can find a place of my own if I have to. God is good, and he has provided this wonderful back-up plan for me.

I will continue to post India updates as I have time!

1 comment:

  1. Amandab, you are so darn cute. I love reading about all your crazy adventures!

    ReplyDelete