Sunday, October 2, 2011

another city for a new weekend

While I was driving home from Chicago this afternoon, I thought to myself, "What am I doing still living in West Michigan?" I know there is a reason for my being here. There is a reason I was only offered one teaching position (that just happened to be in Holland). I love my job. I love my school. I love my apartment. I love my landlords. I love my friends that I have here. I love that I am still not too far from home. So...why am I not 100% happy to be living here, then?

The answer to this is simple: this world is HUGE! I have lived in Michigan my entire life, and I am still here. My hungry heart wants to travel and explore this great big world. My soul desires to be in a city that offers exciting opportunities almost every day; a city that holds concerts and street festivals and has parks that run between the city skyline and a beautiful body of water; a city with easy and accessible transportation; a city full of people searching for meaning and enjoyment. This is what my soul longs for.

There is something romantic about musicians. Not that I want to be in a band, nor do I have the talent to do so, but the idea of traveling the country and seeing new cities almost every night, and getting paid to do so, is a wonderful thought to me. At a concert in Chicago last night, I found myself feeling jealous of the men on stage. While I didn't desire to do what they do, I was jealous of the travels they are experiencing and of the people they get to meet.

I am saving my pennies for big adventures. I have a list of places I want to go, and I am tracking flight prices. The world better get ready for me. Who wants to join?














Chicaho, I hope to see you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment